It’s travel time! We do a lot of traveling, in fact when this blog post goes live we will have just finished a 16-day road trip that started in Zion (read my post about Zion here) and that went all the way to the Yellowstone area (I’ll blog about that later).
No long intro here, I’ll cut to the chase. Here are my top road trip essentials. These items, personally, have made
my our travel life MUCH easier.
BACK SEAT CAR ORGANIZER
I found these back seat car organizers on Amazon for just $21.99! They work super well in keeping things organized.
Here is what I put in my back seat organizers:
- Tissues and napkins (napkins not shown)
- My ROAD TRIP PRINTABLES on a clipboard (get it from the 99 cent store) My kids love the most recent BINGO game I just made, but check out all my printables
- Hand sanitizer, duh 😜
- Extra Pens, DVD head phones and DVD charging cord
- Portable DVD player and book
- Travel sized hand wipe (could also use baby wipes)
Here are some other ideas you could put in the compartments:
- juice box (if you trust your kids not to
spill,if they do tend to squeeze too hard, check out this trick)
- snacks box (see my next road trip essential)
- word search or crossword puzzle books
- extra DVDs
- water bottle
- Ziploc bag or
smallcontainer of Legos (or you can use the LEGO travel box- will be my next post)
- coloring book and crayons/markers
- sunscreen (you can also see my 3rd road essential item for sun protection)
- hair ties
My only complaint is that over time the edges will start to curl, but hey for $22 I can’t complain. We leave our organizers on all year round. It has been awesome!
“Mom, I want a snack!” “Mom, I’m hungry!” Heard that one before? 🤣
I saw this idea from a friend of mine (who I believe saw it on Pinterest) and now we have three different sized snack boxes!
I found these snack boxes, aka fishing tackle boxes (I think that is what they are called? Basically used to organize fishing stuff) at Walmart for about $4.
Snack ideas to put in your snack box:
- fruit: grapes and apple slices are my best suggestion as I feel like other fruits are too messy/slimy. You could also put these next suggestions in, but do so at the risk of a little bit of mess: whole strawberries, blueberries and/or tangerines/cuties
- veggies: cucumber slices, carrots, bell pepper slices, etc.
- trail mix
- kid sized bars (my kids like the z bar, kids power crunch bar, the kids perfect food bar or the kids Lara bars)
- Chex mix
- pretzels or pretzel sticks
- yogurt covered raisins
- fruit snacks
- cut up PB and J sandwich squares
- yogurt stick
- cheese squares
- a special snack like mini Oreos or chocolate covered pretzels
- graham crackers
- animal crackers
- dried fruit
A great way to fill this snack box is to go to the bulk section at any natural grocery store like Sprouts! There are lots of great selections!
I got these sun shaders from, you guessed it, Amazon. I like how folds up into a small case making it easy to store! AND it comes with four shaders! They stick easily to your window so you can apply them when you need sun coverage and then you just take it down when you are done !
BACK SEAT TRASH CAN
It drives me nuts when I find all kinds of trash in the door. Back seat trash can to the rescue. I saw this idea on Pinterest, and it is genius! Get a cereal/pasta plastic container (I got mine from Walmart for about $2), place a plastic bag inside and boom, trash can! I place ours in back seat bin (it holds extra books and a DVD case).
I am becoming a master at printables. Wait, can I claim that?! Ha!🙃 I print out the applicable ones and then put them on a clipboard (from the 99 cent store) and attach a pen with a string to it. I personally like to get small treats like mints or gum (again, all from the 99 cent store) as a prize for finishing the game.
Here are some of the printables I have available! Want to use them? Click here 👉🏻 PRINTABLE to get what fits your needs!
So there you have it, my road trip car essentials!
Have any other suggestions? Feel free to comment! Or have any questions? Feel free to ask!